Long Range Wireless Modem
- Wide Area Coverage
- Remote Diagnostics
- Collision Avoidance Technology
- Real-Time Radio System Monitoring
- 128-bit Encryption
- Dual RS232 Ports
- Ethernet Port (TCP, UDP, IP, SNMP)
The Radius PDR 121 is an advanced digital data radio modem, offering wide area network coverage for remote control telemetry and SCADA applications. Data interfaces include two RS232 and one Ethernet ports. The PDR 121 is designed for both point-to-multipoint and point-to-point networks offering up to 19kbps over-the-air data rate.
The PDR 121 supports event-trigged communication and has a in-built collision management to maximise network throughput. The data radio has secure 128 bit encryption. Built-in Forward Error Correction (FEC) with data inter-leaving can recover even the severely corrupted data messages. Receiver sensitivity is very high enabling exceptional signal recovery.
Protocols supported include DNP3, IEC 60870-5-101, MODBUS, Comli, Cooper 2179.
PDR 121 - Protocol Routing Mode
The PDR 121 incorporates many of the standard communications protocols, but because there are so many available there is also an option to configure the radio for other open or proprietary protocols.
The distance between any two devices is based on the data rate, the frequency utilised, the type of antennas employed and the reliability required. As an example we have working systems in the VHF spectrum communicating up to 50km and in the UHF spectrum up to 30km. Given that the PDR 121 unit can forward data messages to it’s neighbours it is conceivable to have an area coverage of several 1,000km2. Since the PDR has outstanding receiver sensitivity it is able to communicate over distances not achievable by other wireless devices.
Security & Reliability
Each radio has an option in the menu to invoke 128bit encryption over-the-air and all PDR radios also carry unique radio identities so that you can be confident that no-one can listen to or be interfered with by your wireless data radio system. The PDR also features Forward Error Correction with interleaving in order to increase immunity to interference, often recovering data packets with 30% or less corruption.
The PDR supports dual RS232 ports and an Ethernet port. This allows a variety of interfaces to the central system and the slave devices as well as the possibility to mix host systems. There is a possibility to use the PDR 121 also as a bridge to an RS232 device from a central IP based host.
Diagnostics & Over Air Programming
Each PDR comes with a comprehensive menu system that allows the user to very easily perform measurements of their wireless network. This includes data on the signal strength and power output of each device in the network and a Bit Error Rate between any given units.
The tuning range of the radio is up to 40MHz, allowing users to easily migrate frequency within band and to employ duplex frequencies with a very wide separation. Power output can be set from a few milliwatts to 5W via the user interface. Signal strength can also be adjusted to suit noisy environments. Lastly the PDR is designed so that you do not need a costly central unit, since any device can be set up to act as master or slave.
Data Rates & Collision Avoidance
On air data rates up to 19.2kbps, before compression. After data compression the effective data rate can be much higher. The PDR also supports a configurable collision avoidance technique to optimise channel usage and minimise data turnaround.
- Data Rates:
- 4800/9600 @ 12.5 kHz
- 9600/19200 @ 25 kHz
- Frequency Range:
- UHF 470 to 510 MHz
- UHF 435 to 470 MHz
- UHF 395 to 430 MHz
- UHF 360 to 390 MHz
- UHF 350 to 360 MHz
- UHF 330 to 350 MHz
- VHF 140 to 174 MHz
- Other bands available on request
- Operation Modes: Half duplex, Simplex
- Modulation: 4 LFSK
- Forward Error Correction: Yes, interleaving functionality
- Collision Avoidance: Yes, configurable
- Repeating: 1 repeater per system
- No. of Remote Radios/Master: 255
- Tx Power: 10 mW to 5.0 W adjustable
- Sensitivity: -110 to -118 dBm @ BER CCRR: (Co-Channel Rejection Ratio) Better than -8 dB
- Software package Radius RND 100 gives RSSI, temperature etc.
- Temperature Operating Range: -25 ... +75 oC
- Size: (HxWxD) 40 x 193 x 115 mm
- Weight: 800 g (1.76 lb)
- Housing Material: Aluminium
- Operating voltage: 12 VDC. Input voltage range 10.8 - 15.6
- Main Power Supply: 2 pole, female
- Battery Supply: 2 pole, female
- Electric Current Requirement:
- 2000 mA at 2W Tx
- 2500 mA at 5W Tx
- Antenna: BNC, female
- Serial Ports:
- 2 x RS232 DB9 female, wired as DCE (modem)
- Data Rates: 600 to 57600 bps
- Flow Control: RTS/CTS, DCD selectable
- Ethernet Port: TCP/IP, UDP/IP, SNMP
- Configuration: via RS232 port
- LED Indicators: Main PWR, Radio Rx, Radio Tx, RS232 Rx RS232 Tx, Configuration Mode, Carrier Detect, System Detect
- Cooper/PG&E 2179
- Telegyr 8979
- Configuration Software: Standard Windows Terminal Software
- Data Rate: Selectable 1200/9600/57600 bps